Right now I work at VMware Tanzu Labs, which has much of its roots in Pivotal, which was purchased by VMware in 2019-2020.
Normally you'll find me writing distributed applications in the cloud. I suppose you can call me a "full stack" developer, meaning I do operations, DevOps, database, backend, web, and mobile apps. Some recent things I've used:
- Languages: Kotlin, Swift, Elm, React, Redis, Python, Bash, Perl.
- Data stores: PostgreSQL, CosmosDB, AWS S3, Datomic, Lucene.
- Deployment targets: Kubernetes, Azure, AWS.
Prior to the VMware-Pivotal merger, I created and delivered courses on software architecture and development (e.g. the Master Class for Java Developers)
Previously I worked at ThoughtWorks. It's a great place to work, with the caveat: As a North America employee, get ready to Travel. All. The. Time.
I worked Rally Software for a good while, as a full-stack developer working on an Agile software development management tool. The Rally product is now owned by Broadcom, and not long before that it was part of CA.
Before that was a very long time ago, so I'll leave you to my resume to figure it out.
- Stickler about things that matter. Like: code quality; testing; monitoring; accountability; and transparency.
- At the moment I'm strongest in backend systems running on the JVM, particularly the parts built using Spring, Java, Kotlin, or Clojure; and deployed to somewhere in the cloud.
- I'm a developer, adept at many Ops-y things, most comfortable in a UNIX-y environment, deploying to somewhere in the cloud which requires minimal DevOps. If I can't get something to production in a few minutes ... then I'm slightly unhappy.
- Things that deal with unstructured text.
- Computing with numbers. Preferably lots of them.
- Visualizing and presenting information.
- Organizing things (either automatically, or not).
I studied Math and Comp Sci (with a large course load in Russian language) at Tufts (outside of lovely Baahston), then got my M.S. in Comp Sci (with a large load of Linguistics coursework - because I specialized in Computational Linguistics), at Ohio State in Columbus.
Now I live in Boulder, which I'd been visiting for years and years prior - finally decided it was time to just move, already.
For a number of years, I lived in Brussels, Belgium. Those were formative years.
I was born and raised in Oregon. I mean, before that whole Brussels escapade.
I also lived in Costa Rica (near San José, not at the beach or anything …) for a Load of Years.